Monomethylamine is a basic alkylamine and the simplest primary amine. It is a colorless gas. It is co-produced with dimethylamine (DMA) and trimethylamine (TMA). It has a strong ammoniacal or fishy odor. Monomethylamine is used as a building block for the synthesis of many other commercial compounds. Generally, it is sold as an anhydrous gas in pressurized containers or as solution in water.
Monomethylamine is used to produce variety of chemicals derivatives such as N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone (NMP), Monomethylethanolamine (MMEA) and Methyldiethanolamine (MDEA), Metam sodium, Triazines etc.
- Agricultural Chemicals: In manufacture of herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, soil fumigants and sterilant
- As catalysts: Directly used as catalyst or to product catalyst
- Explosives industry: In manufacture of water gel explosives
- Fuel Additives: As gasoline additive, in aviation fuel as antiknock compound
- Pharmaceutical industry: In manufacture of anticonvulsant and tranquilizers
- Photographic Chemicals: As photographic developer
- Solvents: In manufacture of engineering resins, lube oil refining and enamel coating