DMF is a colorless to pale yellow liquid with a fishy or a slight amine odor. It is hygroscopic in nature and should be avoided direct contact with air. It is a versatile organic solvent and also known as a universal solvent. It is miscible with water and many other solvents that finds uses in variety of industrial applications.
It is used in the chemical industry as a solvent, an intermediate, and an additive; for example in the production of pharmaceuticals, synthetic fibers, resins, agrochemicals, petrochemical industry etc.
- Processing of polyurethane to manufacture synthetic leather products (polyurethane-based coatings on leather and artificial leather fabrics)
- Printed circuit boards (PCBs) for electronic industry
- Acrylic fiber
- To extract benzene and butadiene in petrochemical process
- To purify acetylene from ethylene and butadiene in petrochemical process
- Crop protection chemicals
- Dyes industries
- Industrial paint stripper
- Production of high voltage capacitors
- Used as carrier for inks and dyes in printing and fiber-dying applications
- Epoxy based formulations
- As industrial paint stripper etc.