Formaldehyde is the simplest aldehyde and it is one of the most important organic building blocks in the chemical industry. Formaldehyde exists as a colorless gas at room temperature and is soluble in water, alcohol and other polar solvents. Generally, it is available as aqueous solution of formaldehyde with 37% concentration and 3-7% methanol for stabilization purpose.
Aqueous formaldehyde is used to produce amino resins (UF, MUF and MF Resins), phenolic resins, surfactants (or emulsifiers), additives for tanning, disinfectants, preservatives, pharmaceutical products; Various organic products, like, Polyoxymethylene (POM or Plyacetal), Butandiol, Neopentyl glycol (NPG), Pentaerythritol, Trimethylolpropane (TMP), Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI), hexamethylenetetramine, Superplasticizers etc.
- Lamination Industry (wood panels and particle board used in construction and furniture making)
- Oilfield chemicals
- Fumigant for poultry farms
- Water treatment chemicals
- Raw material for insulation / fiberglass industry
- Synthetic resins, moulding compounds, powdered and liquid resins etc.
- Organic dyestuff
- Soil disinfection chemicals
- Metal working industries
- Rubber industry, Textile industry, Sugar industry
- Photographic chemicals, foundry moulds, embalming fluids, Preservatives